COMMUNITY INFO » The Mazzini Garibaldi Foundation
The Mazzini Garibaldi Foundation was created on 7 March 2008 following the decision by The Mazzini Garibaldi Club to donate £1.4m from the sale of its freehold premises.
The charity’s current Trustees have historical links to the Mazzini Garibaldi Club and bring a wide range of disciplines and experiences to the Foundation. They are Chairman Victor Menozzi, Vice Chairman Peter Ciccone, Sue Antoniazzi, Claudia Bastiani, John Besagni, Peter Capella, Nicky Pini, Mauro Vignali and John Zani.
The charity is devoted to supporting the Italian community and the general public in the UK by:
- Advancing education in literature, science and art – for example through lectures, classes, examinations, bursaries and scholarships – and the Italian language and culture.
- Providing financial assistance and support to convalescent and residential care homes, hospitals, infirmaries or any other charitable institutions.
- Benefiting people of Italian descent resident in the UK by supporting, either generally or individually, those in need, hardship or distress.
- Promoting equality, diversity and good relations by advancing education, awareness and mutual understanding among people from different countries, especially between the British and Italian communities.
- Promoting recreation and leisure opportunities to benefit the lives of people who are in need through youth, age, infirmity, financial hardship or social and economic circumstances.
The Trustees have discretion to support other charitable purposes.
The Trustees’ current policy is that grants are made mainly out of the income received from investments.
Since the Foundation’s formation, grants approved by the Trustees include financial support for the 2010 Olimpiadi Gioventù Italiana (OGI); a grant to The Villa Scalabrini Care Home in Shenley; a donation to L’Aquila Earthquake Fund; and a contribution to essential lift repairs at St Peter’s Club, Clerkenwell.
How to apply
Applications for financial support which meet the objectives described in this article are welcomed for consideration by The Trustees. Please write to Mazzini Garibaldi Foundation, PO Box 63524, London N16 1AW.
Please note that The Italian Medical Fund, charity number 218259, which was set up after the sale of The Italian Hospital in London, deals with requests from individuals in need of medical assistance.
Mazzini Garibaldi Foundation Registered Company Number 06527950 (England and Wales)
Registered Charity Number 1124106